The Zookeeper

The Zookeeper
THE ZOOKEEPER...not really, but he has a face of authority Huh???

Friday, April 13, 2012

Bank your Bones...

I have come to accept that I (the zookeeper), am responsible for the handling of all zoo life.

No matter how many attempts I've made at trying to train primates #1, 2, and 3, I need to accept that the animals of the Hawthorne Street Watering Hole are always unpredictable!

One day I decided to take Rudy the Underdog (the canine), to run errands. There is nothing the canine enjoys more than a jeep ride. Riding on the edge of danger, paws on the spare, gripping at every turn, and tongue flapping in the wind...Ah yes, in his limited worldly view it doesn't get any better than this!



Not giving much thought to my morning tasks; I took the canine to the bank. No difficult feat right???


WRONG!!!!!


The zookeeper had forgotten that Rudy the Underdog had visited the bank once before. During that routine bank visit the kind bank teller gave the canine a dog bone. I once heard that elephants remember everything; I will "one-up" that and say that canines remember only one thing....

....who has the treats!

As I (the zookeeper), pulled into the drive-thru line, top off (the jeep, not the zookeeper), the canine lunged into the zookeeper's lap. If he had shoved his snout any further into the carrier tube the kind bank teller would've had slobber on her hands.

Unprepared for this situation, I did not have a firm grip on the carrier, my deposit, or the canine....The first 2 spilled out of the zookeeper's grasp; under the jeep. Of course I sheepishly jumped out making my apologies to the long line behind me, on all fours under the jeep.

....You would think that being the superior species at the Watering Hole that the zookeeper would not be on all fours more than the zoo inhabitants, however this is never the case!

Too worried about retrieving my stray objects, I failed to noticed that the canine had also jumped out and did what only an animal that is expecting a treat would do.....Interrogated all vehicles convinced that someone was holding out on his prize.

After about 10 minutes (OK probably only 2 minutes), The zookeeper managed to contain the canine and drive away with my tail between my legs...Yes I realize the irony here!

There is a lesson to be learned here....I just haven't figured it out yet!




2 comments:

  1. great post!

    add a follower section on the right column of your blog. You can do this by going into blogger design and clicking on "add a gadget." Then the follower thing is one of the options.

    Looking forward to reading more here!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for the tips!! Glad someone else is finding humor in my always unpredictable zoo!!!

    ReplyDelete